Discoverer® Core Trays are manufactured in Australia and have been used by geologists worldwide since 1993. Its many unique features come from years of extensive development which has led to Discoverer® Core Trays becoming the industry standard for core logging, core storage and transportation. It is widely regarded as the best plastic core tray/core box, thanks to its strength and durability. Discoverer® Core Trays can be used in extreme weather situations, hot or cold due to its ability to withstand harsh environmental elements.
"The Discoverer® Series 3 Core Trays flat bottom makes for ease of handling especially on the roller racking at any direction or angle, much more friendly to handle overall. The main benefit of this was the core doesn’t move, disturbing our core orientation, so the logging time is greatly reduced and eliminates logging errors. 360 degree grip bar gives variance when tray handling in difficult, sticky situations. The amount of drainage holes help the wet core dry quickly, especially when the core is stored over time which saves the life of the core for future reference. The plastic core blocks stay where they are put and don’t move or bounce around."
- Core Yard Supervisor, Aurelia Metals
Here’s why you need the Plastic Discoverer® 'Flat Bottom' Series 3 Core Trays/Core Boxes:
1. Roller racking friendly. Core trays which don't run smoothly or bump on roller racking are difficult to work with and disturb the core. The patented unique flat bottom structure has been developed to ensure smooth movement on roller racking and ball transfer tables in any direction or at any angle, without disturbing the valuable core samples inside the tray.
2. Stable stacking. The unique stacking design means that the trays stack perfectly on top of each other without the tray above touching the core in the tray below. All Discoverer® Series 3 trays have the same footprint so you can stack the different sized trays (NQ, HQ, PQ) on top of each other when changing the core barrel size within a drill hole.
3. Extra channel height. When stacking core trays containing fragmented, protrusive core, there is a need to allow enough clearance between the core and the tray stacked on top. The Plastic Discoverer® 'Flat Bottom' Series 3 Core Trays/Core Boxes have increased channel height to maximise the stability of trays even with fragmented core.
4. Ergonomic grip bar. From any angle, from any side and to suit every single natural lifting position for any user, the 360° continuous grip bar makes the heavy lift simple. Whether pulling the tray along roller racking or lifting trays onto the vehicle, you can get a grip on every side of the tray with absolute ease. The grip bar is generously sized to suit even XL hands, and especially moulded for comfort, for both male and female geologists.
5. Clip-in core markers. Clip-in core markers are designed to optimise the use of the tray. The markers are colour-coded to match the trays and the top surface is etched, allowing you to record notes.
6. No logging errors. The bold start indicator gives clarity to drillers, reducing potential errors when logging the core.
7. Drainage holes. There are drainage holes at both ends to help your core dry out and remain stored in premium condition.
8. Indelible record. Built-in ID tag holders are now moulded into both the front and the side of the trays. These provide a permanent record of tray contents.
9. Integral strength. The patented interlocking bracing between tray rows ensures rigidity and strength through the entire length of the tray increases the longevity of the product in any tough mining environment.
10. Transportation stability. Unique Discoverer® Locking Links give superior stability when valuable pallets of core are moved around, whilst also eliminating the need for metal strapping.
11. Protection from the elements. Lids further protect your core integrity from the elements. They are manufactured from a durable UV plastic designed to last for extreme periods under the sun.
12. One-metre core capacity. Keeping core logging practices consistent and easy for the geologist means it is important to fit one metre of core in each row of your core trays. The Discoverer® Series 3 has a one-metre capacity in each row, to ensure that core logging is easier and that you use fewer trays in comparison with shorter trays.
NQ Series 3 OD: 1065L x 385W x 72mmH
Channel Diameter: 52.5mm
Core Capacity: 5 metres
Truck - 99 ( 2220mm High)
Standard Container - 105 (2343mm High)
High Cube Container - 117 (2550mm High)
HQ Series 3
OD: 1065L x 385W x 85mmH
Channel Diameter: 65mm
Core Capacity: 4 metres
Truck - 81 (2200mm High)
Standard Container - 87 (2403mm High)
High Cube Container - 96 (2519mm High)
PQ Series 3
OD: 1065L x 385W x 106mmH
Channel Diameter: 86.5mm
Core Capacity: 3 metres
Truck - 66 (2280mm High)
Standard Container - 69 (2343mm High)
High Cube Container - 75 (2480mm High)
As standard trays are supplied in Air-Force Blue colour, as they are manufactured from Recycled Kerbside Plastic. Special run colours are available on request, and min order qty applies.
Discoverer® Core Tray Comparison Video
Check out the entire Discoverer range to make sure you are using the core tray that's best suited to your needs.
Stock Locations: Gympie, Dubbo, Mt Isa, Adelaide, Perth, Kalgoorlie , Burnie, Bendigo
Lifetime Warranty applies when Core Trays are used as intended, which is for storing, transporting, logging of core and being structurally sound for up to 25 years. Excludes Core Trays being emptied and reused time after time.